Phase One: Mobilization and Preparation
- 1940: Active duty- September. C.O. Major General General Clifford Powell. Station- Fort Dix
- 1941: Organization & integration of National guard units, training, Carolina field maneuvers. C.O. Major General James Muir
- 1942/1943: Louisiana field maneuvers, Camp Claiborne. Reorganization to new divisional structure. Station change to Fort Lewis to protect the Pacific Northwest from Japanese attack and for training
- 1944: Louisiana Maneuvers, Camp Claiborne, station change to Camp Phillips for training.
- Transit to France from Boston, August 1944 Final field training near Cherbourg France September- October . C.O. Major General Robert L. Spragins